Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meet the Seller - Jennie from A Little Vintage

 
Meet the very talented and creative Jennie. Doll maker extrodinaire.  Jennie has become a regular at the Devonport Craft Market over the last few months, and we are thrilled to have her with us. 

Find out a little bit more about Jennie - you need to come and see her exquisite dolls in person!  
How long have you been involved in your craft?
I've been making the dolls for about a year.

What is your craft?
Mainly handpainted dolls. Some are custom made from childrens old baby clothes. Its a bit nerve-racking having to cut into something so special, I'm really appreciating the trust mums have in me! Some examples of orders I've had are: - Bride and groom - Identical twin girls - 40th birthday present made from the ladies 1970's toddler clothes - Lola doll from the childrens books 'Charlie & Lola - And a doll for a girl with Down's Syndrome, with features like her own. I also make different things like recycled LP record bowls, doily doorstops and various styles of cushions.
 
How did you get started creating? My daughters favourite toy(Gordon) needed re-stuffing, so her Dad went out and bought a HUGE bag of polyester filling. I had to do something with the rest of it!

What inspires you?
I liked the thought of original one-of-a-kind items. There was also the need to make something different but also affordable. Our children are extremely inspirational. With Greta(3) and Eva(8) at very different stages of childhood, I get some interesting viewpoints and opinions on what I am creating! The dolls were originally named Miss Greta and Miss Eva according to which hairstyle they had. And of course the real brains behind the softisaurus dinosaurs was really Greta!!

What is your favourite book?
I do love anything about travelling op-shoppers!

 What is your favourite food?
Everchanging, but at the moment feijoa ice-cream. Feijoas are a delicacy for me after being out of the country for so long! (13 years)

Favourite inspiration site; blog or online shop Though there are so many wonderful sites/blogs out there, I am finding its the fabric itself that leads me into creating. Especially if its had a previous life.

How did you come up with your stall / shop name?
As I am using new/recycled and vintage fabrics, I am using only 'a little vintage'. But also it refers to the dolls being little people mostly made from older/vintage fabrics.

Apart from The Devonport Craft Market, Where can people buy your work?
I usually have what is currently available on my blog. Artefact at the New Zealand Steel Gallery in Pukekohe, Craftworld in Westgate, Riverside Crafts in Helensville. Also various markets around Auckland.

 

Thanks Jennie!

Your next opportuity to see Jennie will be at the next Devonport Craft Market on the 14th Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment